Report by Celine Bopp | Makeup Director – Alex Box | Sponsor – MAC
As Alex’s assistant, Celine Bopp, so rightly says “The girls at Gareth Pugh… well, well, well! Another extravaganza from the Box.” Alex describes the look of the show as “religious iconography”.
Celine says “The girls and boys in the show this season were sensational, along with those clothes and the colour that Pugh sneaked into his collection this year was fab – black, gold and blue… beautiful.”
Foundation: The models’ base was kept minimal using MAC Studio Sculpt foundation to match the girls’ skin tone, and the cheeks were left relatively sheer and fresh so to see the natural skin flesh tone.
Eyes: The eye pads were stuck underneath the models’ eye, with either a gold or a blue winged out shape, using ‘secret material’.
Face Gloss: MAC Lipglass in Clear, and Gloss Brilliance was placed on the cheekbones and cupid’s bow.
The boys didn’t wear the mystery winged out shape under their eyes but they had amazing highlights and textures on their skin which looked gorgeous. We used MAC Studio Sculpt foundation, MAC Lipglass, Strobe Cream, and a few different MAC Reflecting Pigments to get the effect that Alex wanted.
Makeup Director – Alex Box | Report by Celine Bopp | Sponsored by MAC
Skin: The girls were given flawless skin, using MAC Studio Sculpt foundation and Prep + Prime primer.
Highlights: MAC Vanilla Pigment was used to highlight the face and mouth.
Contour: MAC Pro Longwear Eyeshadow in Beige was used to contour and define the cheekbone.
Eyes: A sheer wash of colour could be seen across the girls’ eyelids in cream eyeshadow in Blasé and powder eyeshadow in Lady Grey.
Eyebrows: A lovely natural but brushed upwards look was given to the girls’ eyebrows
Lips: Beautiful dark lips were the focal point for the Anne Valerie models, dark plum winey lips using MAC Portside Cremeliner to line the lips, and Prince Noir Lipstick. (This is turning out to be a serious season favourite, showing up on quite a few shows).
Makeup Director – Kay Montano
Vogue’s Beauty Blog called this show look “strange beauty”. Kay told me she aimed for a “polished and perfected look with a subtle edge.”
Foundation: MyFace Mymix foundation
Powder: MAC Prep and Prime powder
Eyes: Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner in Black Ink. No mascara “as it gives a certain oddness which is interesting”, Kay said.
Lips: MAC Prince Noir lipstick applied to the innermost centre of the lips and smudged outward with a finger, creating a black cherry stain which was both sensual and innocent.
Makeup Director – Pat McGrath
The YSL show is always considered to be a beauty bellwether – whereever Pat McGrath decides to take the models’ wearing Stefano Pilati’s gorgeous clothes, we can all expect to be following in her incredible footsteps’ next year.
This season there was a change on the lip colour right before show time – I don’t know whether we’d call it Lipgate, but the original, gorgeous strong violet lip colour was decided to be a little overpowering and minutes before show time Pat had her team remove the violet lip and replace it with a gorgeous, glossy nude. I love both but as always I think Pat made the right call. Can this woman do any wrong?
Here’s what she used (all products by YSL Beauté)
Pale polished skin, very neutral, touch of shimmer on cheeks
- Teint Radiance N° 1 – Ivory
- Touche Éclat N° 1 – Luminous Pink
- Touche Éclat N° 2 – Luminous Ivory
- Semi Loose Natural Radiant Powder N° 1
- Highlighter – Ombres Duolumières N° 1 – Evenly Beige/ Astral Brown used on cheekbones to add touch of shimmer
- Eyes sculpted in taupe – Ombre Duo Lumières N° 1 – Evenly Beige/ Astral Brown
- Beautiful designed brows – Dessin des Sourcils N° 2 – Dark Brown
- and Dessin des Sourcils N° 3 – Glazed Brown
- Mascara Volume Effets Faux Cils N° 2 – Brown – on upper lashes only.
- Stunning chic coral beige lacquered mouth
- Sculpted with Touche Éclat N° 1 Luminous Pink
- Touche Éclat N° 2 – Luminous Ivory
- Rouge Pur Couture N° 10 – Beige Tribute
- mixed with new Rouge Pur Couture N° 36 – Coral Legend (available with the Fall Look 2011).
- Topped off with Golden Gloss N° 11 – Golden Whisper – or a modern “patent” shine
- La Laque N° 14 – Transparent Pink
For more information about the products, please visit www.yslbeautyus.com